In 1954 the Sisters were invited to open a convent in South Africa, in the Rustenburg area. The Sisters ran a mission hospital and schools for primary and secondary school students and had an outreach to remote villages where they provided secretarial training and courses in varying life skills.
Following the overthrow of President Ceausescu in 1989 the Sisters responded to an invitation to go to Romania. Initially they worked with street children and ran soup kitchens but were soon invited to open pre-schools, primary schools and a secondary school. Sisters are also involved with children and teenagers who have special needs.
Two Sisters came to help with “Street Children” and babies suffering with AIDS in the hospital in September 1990 and worked in Bucharest. After two years as Volunteers the Sisters were invited by Archbishop Ioan Robu to begin our Mission in Romania. As well as working as volunteer teachers in Bucharest, the Sisters started a Summer School in Campulung in 1992, where they taught English to young people who came from many parts of Romania. In 1993 they were teaching in a parish preschool in Campulung, which developed into our Saint Iacob School a few years later.
In 1995 the first Romanian Sisters were welcomed into the Novitiate.
The mission of the Sisters of St. Paul is on-going and continues Geneviève’s vision of reaching out to the poor.