Mother Genevieve Dupuis was a woman of great vision and courage, who opened 88 Convents throughout England, and plans to open a convent in Ireland were well under way when Mother Genevieve died on 25th September 1903. From these beginnings the Sisters became involved not only in primary but later in secondary education. Also the sisters were involved in caring for orphaned children in England and in Ottawa Canada. They also ran an orthopaedic hospital in Coleshill as well as caring for the elderly and sick sisters at Selly Park nursing home.
In later years the Sisters also moved into adult education, and a teacher-training college was established in Selly Park in 1910. The college evacuated to Woodchester in Gloucester at the outbreak of the Second World War. After the war, the college moved to its final site in Newbold Revel, a stately home in rural Warwickshire.
In 1954 the Sisters were invited to open a convent in South Africa, in the Rustenburg region. The Sisters ran a mission hospital and schools for primary and secondary children and secondary students. Their work also involved secretarial training and outreach to remote villages to develop home dressmaking skills and nutrition. In the 1980s a teacher’s training college was opened, in which the sisters were also involved. The sisters were in pastoral visiting and facilitating Sunday services in remote villages. They facilitated in the founding and training of a new community of African Sisters of St. Bridget. The new community now runs independently of the Sisters of St. Paul.
Following the overthrow in 1989 of Ceacescu in Romania, a new era began where the Sisters not only opened nurseries and schools up to secondary level, they also taught English at different levels outside of school. They worked with street children and ran soup kitchens. In 1995 the first Romanian Sisters were welcomed into the Novitiate.
The work in both these countries is ongoing continuing Mother Genevieve’s vision of reaching out to the poor.