From 1950 the Dominican Sisters ran St. Margaret’s Convent School in the town of Rustenburg, a mining town in what was then the Transvaal, now North West Province. In 1961 they withdrew and were replaced by the Sisters of St. Paul. The numbers grew and so the school relocated to a new site just outside the town, near the new Catholic Church and the Redemptorist Monastery.
In 1983 it became a Primary Day school and began to grow as a multi-ethnic school before South Africa abolished the separate homelands and the apartheid policy. The school was named Selly Park Convent, after the Mother House of the Sisters of St. Paul in Birmingham, England
It is now an English Medium primary Day School catering for children from reception to Grade 7.
In 2006 the Sisters of St. Paul appointed the school;s first lay Principal.
In 1997, in response to the requests of parents, the Congregation built a new Secondary School – Selly Park Secondary School, which caters for Grades 8 to 12. A lay Principal was appointed in January 2010. The two schools work closely together.